Because he holds fast to me in love, I will deliver him; I will protect him, because he knows my name. When he calls to me, I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble; I will rescue him and honour him. With long life I will satisfy him and show him my salvation. Psalm 91:14-16 (ESV)
I recall in my early formative years dragging around my childhood “blankie”. It was bubblegum pink, edged with soft shimmering satin, and I experienced severe withdrawal symptoms when it had to undergo the wash cycle. That tattered old blanket was a source of security and comfort, especially when visiting new places and people.
Psalm 91 offers security to all of us. It is spoken to those who live “in the shelter of the Most High”. The specific words in verses 14-16 are addressed to anyone who sets their love on the Lord and knows His Name. None of us are immune to difficulty, but in the midst of our troubled waters, God says something remarkable and well worth memorising:
- “I will deliver him…” (cause to escape);
- “I will protect him…” (set on high);
- “I will answer him…” (respond to prayer, speak);
- “I will be with him in trouble…” (in afflictions, in distress);
- “I will rescue him…” (bring into safety, set free);
- “…and honour him…” (make rich, strong, heavy with honour);
- “With long life I will satisfy him…” (have abundance in the journey);
- “and show him my salvation” (victory, welfare, eternal life).
Enjoy the “secret place”. Allow God to be your source of strength, hope and encouragement today. Take comfort and draw your security from your covenant relationship with Him.